Habitual Change
It's amazing how difficult it is to break habits BUT once you put in enough effort you wonder why you did not just jump in and make the change sooner! Over the course of my journey I have been consistently changing my eating habits and a few weeks ago as you know I decided to step it up because July is looming.
For the last four weeks I have been eating really good food, drinking lots of water, cutting back sugar and fats. searching out whole grains and thanks to my cousin, drinking these crazy green smoothies (check out spruralina folks)!
All was going well until last week when I accepted a shower invitation. I had the best of intentions and packed a salad and my greek yogurt and decided that I would be strong. However once they laid out the food I decided that I had had enough salad and TODAY I was going to have one of my "free days".
The thing that really helped me make a decision for the free day was the plate size - small bread and butter plates. So with portion control on my mind I had my first plate - yum. Round two - yum yum boy how I have missed really good finger foods. By plate number three I was stuffed And THEN they cut the cake. I watched everyone bring their cake to the living room and then I circled the cake like a hawk. In the ended I passed on the cake and opted for one last piece of spinach quiche but then that's when it started - the pain.
You see sometimes when you start to build good habits, even if your mind is on a different page your body tells you that the truth. My truth that I learned left me mortified and excited at the same time. I left that shower with a stomach ache that lasted for two days and I now know that I have no choice but to make better choices about what I eat. I wonder if I will ever be able to consume certain foods without pain but I am excited about the fact that I am changing my norms and building good habits. I even pushed my two kids (a combined 75lbs or so) up Pompano hill yesterday - do you know how steep that hill is?
So here's to good habits to pushing yourself and realizing that the only thing stopping us from making habitual change is ourselves. I encourage you working on some habit. Just start small and build up. The feeling on the other side is amazing!
Excellence is not a singular act. It is a habit. You are what you continually do. - Aristole
22 lbs down 26 to go! If you have one more minute check out the photo gallery below. I posted my starting weight picture and once I get to the half way point (two more pounds) I will post an update!
For the last four weeks I have been eating really good food, drinking lots of water, cutting back sugar and fats. searching out whole grains and thanks to my cousin, drinking these crazy green smoothies (check out spruralina folks)!
All was going well until last week when I accepted a shower invitation. I had the best of intentions and packed a salad and my greek yogurt and decided that I would be strong. However once they laid out the food I decided that I had had enough salad and TODAY I was going to have one of my "free days".
The thing that really helped me make a decision for the free day was the plate size - small bread and butter plates. So with portion control on my mind I had my first plate - yum. Round two - yum yum boy how I have missed really good finger foods. By plate number three I was stuffed And THEN they cut the cake. I watched everyone bring their cake to the living room and then I circled the cake like a hawk. In the ended I passed on the cake and opted for one last piece of spinach quiche but then that's when it started - the pain.
You see sometimes when you start to build good habits, even if your mind is on a different page your body tells you that the truth. My truth that I learned left me mortified and excited at the same time. I left that shower with a stomach ache that lasted for two days and I now know that I have no choice but to make better choices about what I eat. I wonder if I will ever be able to consume certain foods without pain but I am excited about the fact that I am changing my norms and building good habits. I even pushed my two kids (a combined 75lbs or so) up Pompano hill yesterday - do you know how steep that hill is?
So here's to good habits to pushing yourself and realizing that the only thing stopping us from making habitual change is ourselves. I encourage you working on some habit. Just start small and build up. The feeling on the other side is amazing!
Excellence is not a singular act. It is a habit. You are what you continually do. - Aristole
22 lbs down 26 to go! If you have one more minute check out the photo gallery below. I posted my starting weight picture and once I get to the half way point (two more pounds) I will post an update!
I am encouraged to start small as you suggested and not set myself up for failure. Hope I am encouraging you as well. You are truly beautiful inside and out.
ReplyDeleteS.
Anonymous, I am so excited that you are going to start somewhere. If there is anything I can do to help you along the way let me know. You are absolutely encouraging me. Hugs.
ReplyDelete