Sidelined!

Today I thought I would be posting my 50% goal accomplishment post. In fact it's already written and ready to go - I am so excited. But instead I am writing a different kind of post.

Go with me for a minute to a ball game.  Thousands of fans have packed the arena, the energy is electrifying, the organ is blasting through the speakers, everyone is on their feet waving a flag, you can just feel that you are about about to witness something great.

It's the end of the second half, the crowd is cheering, the anticipation is building, you are so excited you feel like you could burst.  Your favorite player is on a streak and then there goes the whistle - TIMEOUT!!

Then if the timeout was not enough, the coach yells "DEAN, TAKE THE BENCH!" and so instead of getting to go back in and take the final shot, your player is benched and has to watch the game for a moment, knowing that he/she will get back in but will have missed the euphoria of that final shot  moment.

Well that's me this week!  Two sick kids and another summer bug and I feel like I have been benched. I have to admit that I am questioning conventional wisdom that exhorts vitamins, water, and all of the natural supplements I have been taking - in fact I am irritated that I am sick at all!

To be honest, for the past two days I have been wallowing in my aggravation and even spent more than a few few precious blackberry moments and phone calls venting to my friends.  However, at this very moment I have decided to stop feeling sorry for myself, suck it up and wait for my turn to be called back into the game.

I was reading my bible the other day and it it talked about enduring hardship as discipline. The exact words are: No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it (Hebrews 12:11).

My interpretation of this text is changing habits is not pleasant, being sick is not pleasant, but through it all God is trying to show me something that will eventually bring peace. So with that in mind my word for today is for me as much as it is for anyone reading this post. Life is gonna throw some curve balls, it may be unpleasant, but you can and you will be called back into the back in the game!

Excellence is not a singular act. It is a habit. You are what you continually do. - Aristole

22 lbs and holding just for now - 26 to go!

Comments

  1. Wow, Leah, I had forgotten how well you write. I was right there with you with the sports analogy.

    You might have been benched during the last few minutes of the game, but we are now in overtime and you have a second chance to show your stuff!

    Go Leah Go!!

    LH

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post Leah.. I had a wt loss goal of 40lbs before by 40th birthday which is around the corner(3weeks) and Since January have not even lost a total of 10#. In my discouragement I am thankful for my kids, hubby and family. I look forward to reading this blog and continue on the journey with you...maybe I should re-group and begin my 41lbs to 41...lol Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. LH - LOL!! Overtime it is. Gotta get act together for sure. A week later and my sickness has progressed Ugh!! This is a rough overtime for sure!

    Connie - It's never too late! My anniversary is next week Friday and I am not going to hit the goal but knowing that I am on my way is helping for sure...gonna add you to my bb support group. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

February 2011

Any Progress is Good Progress

Change, change and more change